Wednesday 28 February 2018

Book Review: The Hating Game by Sally Thorne

There are weirder things to collect than Smurfs I guess.

Lucy Hutton and Joshua Templeman sit across from each other every day . . . and they hate each other. Not dislike. Not begrudgingly tolerate. HATE. Lucy can't understand Joshua's joyless, uptight approach to his job and refusal to smile. Joshua is clearly baffled by Lucy's overly bright clothes, quirkiness, and desire to be liked.

Now they're up for the same promotion and Lucy, usually a determined people-pleaser, has had enough: it's time to take him down. But as the tension between Lucy and Joshua reaches its boiling point, it's clear that the real battle has only just begun . .

This is a book I got for review ages ago and after months of hearing about how good it was, I have finally read it (it might take me years or months, but I intend to read everything I said I would review eventually).

This is a 'hate to love', filled with witty back and forth, which is something I love. Fun dialogue is my favourite thing. They're always at the same power level as well so it's fully enjoyable. I wish all romance focus books were like this one. If read my other reviews, I do paint a picture of me hating all romance. Not true, just a lot romances focus books give no reason for the characters to like each and they have no chemistry at all, which is the opposite in this book. 


The characters Lusy and Joshua are well round with filled out backgrounds and good motives. Also surrounded by interesting supporting cast. Their relationships is fun and I just really like them.

The ending was a bit disappointing for me. Not the way the story ends, just the execution. I wanted  an epilogue kinda of. I just wished the concussion was stronger. I realise we were near the ending and was like hur? There's not time for a proper resolution. I cared about the plot as well as the characters so I wish it was more satisfying.
 
Overall, I give this 4/5 stars for Strawberry Smurfs. This is a fun romance, with the background of the publishing industry. I've not said much in this review, but I think it better going in not knowing much. I recommended, it one of the best romances I've read and if you want a fun, light read book

I received this book off Netgalley and Piatkus for Review.

No comments:

Post a Comment