Wednesday 17 January 2018

Book Review: Between the Lies by Cathy MacPhail

When I run away, I'm staying away fro the Clyde.

"I heard Jude ran off to IBiza."
"Why yould Jude message no-mates-Abbie?!"
"Jude! Seriously. Where are you?"

The mean girls and the isfits alike are obsessed with Judith Tremayne's sudden disappearance.

Then Abbie Kerr, a school nobody, receives a message that changes everything.

"I want to come home."

Who can find the truth between the lies?

 Basically, everyone lies in this book until it explodes in their faces. For like no real reason either.

The main character Abbie seemed very unlikable from the start of the book. I don't really feel for anyone in the events of the novel. I took quite dislike to Abbie's dad and thought he quite failed the parenting test.

 The plot is a bit dull with its twists.

This book is set in Port Glasgow so somewhere in the central belt of Scotland. So there's this on the street reporter called Sara Flynn who has red hair.  Jackie Bird in wild? She meant to be the most famous reporter in Scotland, unless STV has one, it must be Jackie Bird. The person BBC Scotland should stop using for everything. I really hate Jackie Bird's presenting.

The format is somewhat interesting, the book is told in first person by Abbie, mixing in with texts and status/comments she reads online. Probably the best part of the book was the way this was executed.

Time for Rachel Verna points out something stupid: As someone who attempted to read "IT" by Stephen King at 13 years old and stopped at the 600 and something page mark, I don't buy for one minute that half a class of 3rd years (mostly 14 years olds) have read IT or have read many over a thousand page books. I really doubt MacPhail has either. Seen the the original 90s TV-movies, maybe and would have definitely seen reference to that. Apparently, they all loved it too and no mention of the 11 year old gangbang. I didn't get to that part back then. I read it last year in full.

The school has a unrealistic amount of working tech. Unless someone just brought them a TV studio for some reason. Yeah, it's never explain why they have that, unless it part of a Higher or something. I know a few school have recording studio set ups (there are often just cupboards with sound proofing), but TV studio with a relayable system to broadcast over the school is something that University with degrees in that technology stuff have issues with. I get it from the plot point but not realism.

Overall, I give this book 3/5 stars for school cameras. This book was fine, forgettable quick read. The only interesting thing that the book it's set in Scotland which is something that I don't often come across by accident. The summary sounds like such a cool book, so slightly disappointed. Oh well, I'll probably give MacPhail another chance.

1 comment: