Wednesday 23 August 2017

Book Review: Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas

So three years late is better than never.

Lost and broken, Celaena Sardothien’s only thought is to avenge the savage death of her dearest friend: as the King of Adarlan’s Assassin, she is bound to serve this tyrant, but he will pay for what he did. Any hope Celaena has of destroying the king lies in answers to be found in Wendlyn. Sacrificing his future, Chaol, the Captain of the King’s Guard, has sent Celaena there to protect her, but her darkest demons lay in that same place. If she can overcome them, she will be Adarlan’s biggest threat – and his own toughest enemy.

While Celaena learns of her true destiny, and the eyes of Erilea are on Wendlyn, a brutal and beastly force is preparing to take to the skies. Will Celaena find the strength not only to win her own battles, but to fight a war that could pit her loyalties to her own people against those she has grown to love?


I have reviewed the second book in this series and the start of Maas' other series. It's been over 3 years since I received an arc of this book, but I never technically abandoned books I received review copies for.

The world building is interesting as we are in a new location and learn more about the fae. Get new characters.

We are introduced to a character that's destined to die. They were apparently introduced in the last book, but not noticeable. They reek of death the moment they introduced and making their interaction meaningless and obvious plot fodder. I stand by that Chaol and Dorian make a more interesting ship than any of the other things they have going on. I just dislike Chaol,, but can't remember why? (re-read the first two books? no). I mean he doesn't do a thing to change my mind so I'm just going to stick with the dislike.

The book changes POV and they were some I just didn't care about (Chaol's,) but had to read for plot reasons. The plot was okay, I really didn't care for the Adarlan side of the story. The climax on the side was somewhat obvious, but does feel like interesting set up for the next books. The rest of the plot was good and still like Celaena for the most part.

Overall, I give this book 4/5. I enjoyed this book better than the last one and probably pick up the next book soon (at least sooner than I did this one).

I got this book for Review off NetGalley and it was published by Bloomsbury on 11 September 2014. They probably rather I mention that the 6th novel is out next month. Also I did end up purchasing a non-signed edition of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment