Wednesday 8 April 2015

Book Review: Simon Vs. the Homo Sapian Agenda by Becky Albertalli

Timing can really effect your enjoyment of a book

Straight people should have to come out too. And the more awkward it is, the better. 


Simon Spier is sixteen and trying to work out who he is - and what he's looking for. But when one of his emails to the very distracting Blue falls into the wrong hands, things get all kinds of complicated. Because, for Simon, falling for Blue is a big deal . . . It's a holy freaking huge awesome deal.

This book mostly felt like a waste of my time, personally, not necessary yours. Simon trying to figure out who Blue is in real life goes to really dumb places, some that could have passed as notion but not even paragraphs should have been spent on the second guess. I want to give the author into trouble as though she was a toddler, I did even say "No, Bad writer" out loud.

I also just started wanting to nick pick this book so bad, for dumb stuff, like accurate American culture and morals. Also Simon is obsessed with Oreos and Oreos are disgusting and should be confined to the states. The title of this book came up in the book and I don't fucking get it. It's dumb. Congratulations you don't understand biology and the natural  want to fuck boys like a Homo Sapian should. (There is swearing in this which is a plus). It does however equal gays as being another species and with the LGBTQA+ history, thats is a terrible thing to do and coming from a Straight writer insenstive (she married, so straight passing and I can't remember if I got this as fact or not. She never talked about it). We are all Human Beings a.k.a Homo Sapians until we evolve into another one. So don't say something that impiles we not, especially don't call a book after that. Its the straights that say "No Homo" not us.

I also found the Pop-culture reference to be over-baring. The dog was called Bieber. Why would you do that, to a poor innocent creatures. Also the play thing is a bit weird and is isn't a play that's after the Christmas break bit odd or are American school like that, Winter break is always seen as the half cutting point of the year over here. Also why are the Soccer team randomly doing trials in the middle of the year? There seem to be a lot of stuff throw in without thought when it comes to the supporting characters.

Random drama pops up a lot. Especially, within Simon's girl friends (didn't go down the more interesting route). I've seen people praise the supporting characters but I found the things that went on them to have been unsatisfying endings. They just don't feel like real people or that Simon cares about his friends.

Also the bullying aspect was kinda dumb to have repeatedly, as Simon had no emotional reaction to it, out with the events. I think it was more for the development of other characters, and I personally find fault with books/media that uses someone else struggles to teach another character a lesson. Especially, when comes to minorities, even if it's not the main character. This definitely not the worst case, but the thing is that the character who develops is just an arse and did something terrible that's terrible no matter who does it.

I liked the email exchanges in this book and guess Simon and Blue's relationship. I think I would have prefer the whole book to be emails, well mostly, with the same ending.

Overall, I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars for a lack of understanding of Biology and History. I think the main problem is this book clashed with what I'm doing right now and almost grudge reading it right now instead of something with more plot which I guess is what I prefer when I have limited reading time.

Update: My rating is now 2/5 stars because my issues still stand at 13.9.16 and that title still annoys me and I can't get over how problematic it is. As 09.11.17, I still feel need rant about how bad this book is.

I got this book off NetGalley for Review and it's being published by Penguin yesterday (7th APRIL 2015) or it's been out since the start of April, books never seem to come out their expected published dates anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment