Wednesday 29 April 2015

Book Review: A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

Buy it. Buy it now.
 Feyre is a huntress. She thinks nothing of slaughtering a wolf to capture its prey. But, like all mortals, she fears what lingers mercilessly beyond the forest. And she will learn that taking the life of a magical creature comes at a high price . . .

Imprisoned in an enchanted court in her enemy’s kingdom, Feyre is free to roam but forbidden escape. Her captor’s body bears the scars of fighting, and his face is always masked – but his piercing stare draws her ever closer. As Feyre’s feelings for Tamlin begin to burn through every warning she’s been told about his kind, an ancient, wicked shadow grows. Feyre must find a way to break a spell, or lose her heart forever.


I bet you're wondering if Sarah J. Maas has done it again and created another world with kick-ass main characters. Basically, yes, yes she has.

I want to start talking about the fact it's retelling. Beauty and the Beast is one of my favourite fairy tales and my favourite Disney film so I've read a lot of versions of it. This one is completely it's own thing, however, reading it I noticed twists on the Disney film (though, one of those twist isn't actually part of the original final cut of the disney film, but first appeared properly in the musical and then was put back into the film in 2002 special which I own and have watched every thing off it several times. I am B&B geek so maybe Sarah J. Maas was not aware of that. I would have to ask her next time I get to meet her). Feyne's family set up is very similar to the tradition tale and I enjoyed the twist on the curse. This is a very good retelling, especially like that fairies are back in these one as that seems to be lost from the retelling I've read/seen and  it is currently my favourite book one (it would take a God to top the Disney one for me and even then they probably wouldn't be able to do it because childhood and great songs, check out the beast's songs from the musical).

On this book standing by itself, it pretty good. The world building is great. There is a interesting and deep history to this world. I really liked that the fairies appear in this world, since a lot of the other B&B story have replaced them with a witch.

The characters are okay, I like them and they feel real. Maas does interesting things with them in character sense. Now, the actual romance is not my favourite part of the book and their conversations together were sometimes, let say repetitive in the sake of not spoiling anything. But the side characters sure do make up for it and I love it. I do just want to say that there times when the "Romances" and other aspects make me uncomforable when I found myself reading this in public. Just beware, its once you get past the 100 page mark, I just know it was some point after that.

Overall, I gave this book five out of five Stars for Annoying Accessories.  I love this world and retelling. This is the start of the series and I will be pre-ordering the sequel which is coming out in May next year, though I do think the retelling (of Beauty & Beast) aspect will end with the first book but maybe I'm wrong.

I also have a video review/spoiler discussion.


I got this off NetGalley early for Review (of course, I pre-order a copy that came three weeks early) and is being published by Bloomsbury on 5th May 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment