Wednesday 21 January 2015

Book Review: The Mime Order by Samantha Shannon

You know this is a sequel because there is a number 2 on the cover.

In the internationally bestselling The Bone Season, Paige Mahoney escaped the brutal penal colony of Sheol I, but now her problems have only just begun: many of the fugitives are still missing and she is the most wanted person in London.

As Scion turns its all-seeing eye on Paige, the mime-lords and mime-queens of the city’s gangs are invited to a rare meeting of the Unnatural Assembly. Jaxon Hall and his Seven Seals prepare to take centre stage, but there are bitter fault lines running through the clairvoyant community and dark secrets around every corner.

Then the Rephaim begin crawling out from the shadows. But where is Warden? Paige must keep moving, from Seven Dials to Grub Street to the secret catacombs of Camden, until the fate of the underworld can be decided. Will Paige know who to trust? The hunt for the dreamwalker is on.

This the sequel to The Bone Season, so expect spoilers for that book in here. If you've not read the first, why not check out my review of it instead.

I'm just going to say it. This book is not as good as Bone Seasons. The thing is that book was so good; its a hard act to follow, especially with it ending on cliffhang and you're just dump back into this world which would be fine if you had read the books back to back but I didn't.

I don't think there is good job re-establishing characters and events from past novel. Frankly, in a series that's going to be so long it's important that you don't have to read the last book before the reading the next. Things and characters are mention in pasting without proper explanation. It's hard to remember everything when its been over a year since you've read the first book and I just don't have the time to reread every book before I read it's sequel (I'm not a big rereader to begin with) and I bet others are that way too. A lot of stuff went down in the end of the last book and just hard to catch up.

I think the big problem is the plot drags a little and I pushed myself through this book mainly because I was eager to read another book. That might just be my problem, but I never felt that way with the last book. Also while there is more world building, we pretty familiar with it now and finding about this world was one of my favourite things in the last novel.

I still love the characters, Paige is still awesome.  Still very interested in for going on with these characters.

Overall, I gave this book four out of five books for Mimes. Second Book Syndrome is horrible thing, while I'm wondering how this story going on for five more book. Hey, that might be good thing and I'm keen find out what's going to happen next.

I got this for review off Netgalley. It being published by Bloomsbury on the 27th January 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment