Saturday 30 August 2014

Last Festival Day with a College Drama.

Hello Dudes, yeah I totally greet people as dude. So last Sunday I went to the Edinburgh International Book Festival for the last time this year.

This time we took the car up because everyone in my household was meant to be coming. There didn't but we had missed the bus by that point that became clear. My parents ended up abandoning me at the gates where I went to the first event by myself which was Alternative Worlds with Maureen Johnson and Leigh Bardugo (you dear reader can watch on YouTube:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBlbUUaFu0w and there also interview on the festival's channel as well).

There are both very entertaining, intelligent women and got interesting questions. There was the cringe worthy one of about importance of strong female characters. It was the framing of it that was really bad and the audience of mostly women laughed at it. Also I don't think a lack of well define characters are not issue in books, yes you have examples of cliché and terrible characterisation e.g. Twilight. Its TV and film that suffers from the lack of deep female characters and also diversity in general. What you get mostly is American White Men and even mostly them ain't characterised to a good standard. Most of them are actually the same person; just in different but kinda the same setting.

https://twitter.com/maureenjohnson/status/505729127794475009I guess I should go back to talking about the festival. The only thing is that Maureen Johnson talked more about Suite Scarlett series than the Shades of London series which was the one feature in the info about the talk. After sitting in the front awkwardly by myself just adjusting my trolley (that brought back after getting sent replacement wheels), I went to the signing where I reveal that trolley was full of books, mainly Maureen Johnson. She even took a picture and posted it to twitter.

She did sign them all, I was aware it was ridiculous amount to bring with me but I couldn't decided which ones to bring. I just suck at decision making and I did leave a book at home... by accident.

Leigh Bardugo signed two of my books to Rachel & Verna. She fixed it and signed the other two to me alone.

Update: It is now 2017 and I never finished this so who knows what the College Drama was.

No comments:

Post a Comment