Wednesday 4 June 2014

Book Review: Winger by Andrew Smith

This book rugby tackles you while you're playing rounders.


Ryan Dean West is a fourteen-year-old boy at a boarding school for rich kids. He's living in Opportunity Hall, the dorm for troublemakers, and rooming with the biggest bully on the rugby team. And he's madly in love with his best friend Annie, who thinks of him as a little boy. 

With the help of his sense of humour, rugby buddies, and his penchant for doodling comics, Ryan Dean manages to survive life's complications and even find some happiness along the way. But when the unthinkable happens, he has to figure out how to hold on to what's important, even when it feels like everything has fallen apart. 

I had heard a lot of hype for this book. I don't think that help as I spent a lot time wondering why this was so many people's favourite. To be honest it's the ending that leave me a little numb. Just no. Okay, I get why so many people like Winger. There is cartoons meant to be drawn by the character. Illustration are something I love in books, though I don't think all the comics made sense or add anything to the situation.

I think the whole book balanced on whether you like the main character Ryan Dean which I didn't really. He so needy and does the same dumb things repeatedly. Also we get told of his past mischief that I have hard time actually imagining him doing any of it. I just couldn't behind him at all. It doesn't help that the only girls we introduced to in this book are either described as hot or mocked for the looks and as Ryan Dean is the narrator he one doing it. The supporting characters were generally more likable.

There was this one scene that just felt so fake and really what the chances of that happening. It just seems the whole point of this book to give us, the reader a lesson out of the suffering of a character that's not main character (though who is hella lot more likable).

Overall, I gave this book 3 out of 5 stars for bloody uniforms. There was parts of this book that I enjoyed and found humours. However, with that ending it lost a whole star. Though, saying that I'm sure there is people who love this book because of that ending, I'm so not one of them. There is also meant to be sequel of this book coming out and I don't get why. I suppose there was meant to plans of action that Ryan Dean wanted to be doing. I would probably read it if it dropped into my lap but I wouldn't make any effort for it.

I got this off Netgalley for a review. It’s being published by Penguin on 5th June 2014 (Tomorrow).

No comments:

Post a Comment