Wednesday 5 February 2014

Book Review: Dead Jealous by Sharon Jones

I bet Brian Cox was thrilled to be referenced in this book.

Last Summer, in a boating accident, Poppy Sinclair survived a brush with death.

But the girl she finds face down in a lake wasn't so lucky.

As Poppy fights to discover the truth behind what she believes is murder, she also discovers that people are not always as they seem. 

Slipping into a deep web of lies, jealousy and heart-stopping danger. Poppy comes to realise that the one thing that can save her has been right there, all the time.

I like this book, it was enjoyable and is probably one of the best YA thrillers I've ever read. 

It's set in a Pagan festival so definitely wins for unique setting. I actually had moment of horror that with the Wickerman that it was set near where I live (yeah, I don't like where I live); its not, it is actually set in the Lake District. It lovely whilst going through it on train but no desire to visit it. I love the idea of a book being set in a  festival of any kind. I mean having to sleep in tent whilst a killer is on a the loose is sort of genius and I can't believe I never thought of it.

There is a romance triangle thing sort of going on. Poppy is in love with her best friend Micheal and but she also meets the buff Tariq at the festival *vomits in the lake*. Okay, it's no where near cheesy as I just made it sound. I mean she also has a brief lesbian moment. The characters are actually all well thought and are as layered as onion (the main ones anyway). Jones does a really good job of make you like a character with only a few pages.

The solution wasn't obvious, it made sense and does manage to go down the wrong path. Gives you sum false ideas about the outcome. There were times where you question Poppy's survive instances (I don't know how these sort of books/any media would work without some those lapses). The ending was the typical high action. There is a small paranormal side to this book, it is set in a Pagan festival, you could explain in science if you really want. I personally just want to live it there sitting petty.

I give it 5 out of 5 stars for poodles named after atheists. I really enjoy this book, never left you bored or impatient. I think it would work as a stand alone but the sequel is in fact out tomorrow and I have a written a review of it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment