Saturday 23 March 2013

Book Review: Killing Rachel by Anne Cassidy

I'm kinda late with this book, as I got my hands on an Arc ebook, but I was distracted by Clockwork Prince. It was really weird reading this since my best friend is named Rose and I'm obviously called Rachel. Oh, and don't even start with the Killing Rachel jokes. My sib got there first.

Rose's mother and Joshua's father have disappeared. Police inquiries have gone nowhere and the case, it seems, is closed: Rose and Joshua have been told that the police believe their parents are dead. But Rose and Joshua still hold out hope that they are alive. Joshua is determined to follow up his own inquiries, which includes working out the meaning of the cryptic notebooks - the murder notebooks - they have discovered. Then Rose is distracted by odd, desperate messages she receives from Rachel, a former best friend from her school, followed by the terrible news that Rachel is dead. But perhaps Rachel's death will provide one more piece of the puzzle about what has happened to Rose and Joshua's parents . . .

 Okay, this the second in the Murder Notebooks series. Do you need to read the first. No, probably should.    

Basically, Rose once again struggles to solve a mystery single handed while her step bro Joshua focus on trying to find out what happened to their parents. That's the big overwhelming fault with Joshua, all he really cares about is finding his dad. All this over stuff is going on, he knows Rose dealing with issues from her past, possibly putting herself in danger (that more from the last book) but just stoves Rose's stuff out the way while he goes on wild goose chase.

To be honest, I don't buy he's that good. Joshua and his geeky friend Skeggsie always end up on the right path. They've never been wrong, they've never hit a dead end. Its a bit boring and unrealistic. Though, if you have have too many wrong roads you just want to hit someone.

The Mystery of Rachel, is slightly more satisfying. There is a proper twist and suspects. It could have gone several ways and still have been believable. The "Reveal" is probably the most interesting in terms of the book and goes with all the stuff Rose is feeling about Rachel.

There is tiny bit of Romance in this, which for the most part I ignored. In my head Rose has already declared her undying love for Skeggsie and I won't hear more on the matter. Mainly Romance bores me, no matter how complicated. I think the plot is good without it and the book really doesn't need it.

In terms of character, there isn't really much development. For some reason I really like Skeggsie, not sure why. I just do, he wasn't in this much.

 In the terms of the series, I don't much really happen the whole overall goal finding out what happen to the parents. More of confirming things.

Overall, I gave this 3 stars out of 5. It was aright, I wasn't thrilled by it.

Disclaimer: I got this book off NetGallary. So for free. Don't worry I'm honest and kinda of bitch. Just asked my Best Friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment