Tuesday 19 March 2013

Book Review: The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

When my mother saw me with this book, she said it sounded exactly like the sort of book I would like. Probably just because it had "book" and graveyard" in the title.

After the grisly murder of his entire family, a toddler wanders into a graveyard where the ghosts and other supernatural residents agree to raise him as one of their own.

Nobody Owens, known to his friends as Bod, is a normal boy. He would be completely normal if he didn't live in a sprawling graveyard, being raised and educated by ghosts, with a solitary guardian who belongs to neither the world of the living nor of the dead. There are dangers and adventures in the graveyard for a boy. But if Bod leaves the graveyard, then he will come under attack from the man Jack—who has already killed Bod's family . . .


This cover confused me after reading the book, I just don't understand why the boy is blonde because he described as having mousey coloured hair. My understanding is that mouse is light-brown. I confirmed this by the power of the internet. This was drawn especially for the book so is really confusing to me.

This book is basically about different stories from Nobody's childhood in Graveyard where he raised by ghosts. His step-parents are ghosts, he is taught by ghosts and so on. All the weird things that come from this.

There also this thing about the Jacks. They trying to kill him and they big "battle" in the end where only one can survive, sort of. Yes, it does go a bit Harry Potter, but I only realise that after I finished reading it.

I only gave Three out Five stars as while good read, I found it rather boring at times. I didn't feel that much for the characters, it was kinda like a soap you find yourself watching because you couldn't be arse to get off the couch to switch the channel.

See you next time losers.

No comments:

Post a Comment