Monday 11 February 2013

Review: Animal Farm: A Fairy Story by George Orwell

I really hate the fact that all Classics are lumped togather as though that's a genre, and that there time period and actual genre don't matter. The most annoying about this trend is that its done by readers. So which brings me onto reviewing this lovely (that's probably the wrong word) little novel, Animal Farm by George Orwell. I'm going to try to review this book (other classic novels I end up reading) as though it like any other book I've read. So with that here's the given summary.

 Tired of their servitude to man, a group of farm animals revolt and establish their own society, only to be betrayed into worse servitude by their leaders, the pigs, whose slogan becomes: “All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.” Published in 1945, this powerful satire of the Russian Revolution under Stalin remains as vivid and relevant today as it was on its first publication.

I only have a brief Knowledge of the Russian Revolution, so I can't actually make a specific point about its full satire nature and more of relevance toward kinda the nature of Politics in general which I do know enough about to capably vote. 

So obviously Animal Farm is about a group of animals that take over a farm. Obviously. Orwell uses the different type of Animals to show different classes of people. The Humans are symbol of the old ways, the pigs are new politic leaders, sheep are the blind flowers, the donkey as the disillusioned oldie and it kinda gets more specific when comes to the horses (restrains self from making a Horse Meat Scandal joke). 

It basically about the nature of Politics and how masses are typically manipulated. The good example of this which I can't say because it kinda spoiler. Also that the leaders may be more concerned about themselves than each other. 

Just general points here, there is a lot of characters and does get a bit confusing by the end trying to keep up. Even though satire about Russian they is something very British about it. Making plans in pubs, farm animals and "The Beasts of England" do that.

I recommend to anyone who like History and politics (I guess should tell my sib about it then) and I gave it 4/5 stars. Its sort of depressing as its reminds that people can be terrible and that can't truly trust your leaders. It is probably one of those books everyone should read and it is quiet short.

No comments:

Post a Comment