Thursday 21 February 2013

Book Review: Adorkable by Sarra Manning

 I hate both the main characters, they're both prejudice, shallow and their judgement is always questionable.Still its a very readable book.

Jeane Smith's a blogger, a dreamer, a dare-to-dreamer, a jumble sale queen, CEO of her own lifestyle brand, and has half a million followers on Twitter.  

Michael Lee's a star of school, stage, and playing field. A golden boy in a Jack Wills hoodie.  

They have nothing in common but a pair of cheating exes. So why can't they stop making out?

I like to start out by saying that this is how Jeane Smith describes herself (in third person because that what you do on the internet)on her blog. She describles her self as "a dreamer" and "a dare-to-dreamer". This really bugs me as there the same thing, to be "a dreamer" you've got to "dare" to be one and it just adds nothing.

This is obvious YA Romance novel, so mainly about the Jeane and Michael relationships. So the characters should make the book. To be bluntly honest, before I even finish Chapter One my opinion was that they're both deserve each other as they're both arseholes. Jeane little Goth comment was really where I got my distaste of her. You know she meant to be an outcast but makes fun of other outcasts. She sort of does that a lot. She also is very much not a dork. She seems rather fake in her weirdness. I mean I just don't buy it all.

Michael is petty much the popular cliché. Likes only people who wears labels.

 Also there was no cheating exes. Basically, their girlfriend and boyfriend at the start of the novel, like each other and because frankly the starting relationships were in terrible states, they broke up and start seeing each other. The exes are both rather boring and I didn't care if they show up again. Jeane attitude as having made her ex-boyfriend is my favourite thing that made her so very unlikeable.

Oh, If you wondering, I still think they're both petty much arseholes after reading the whole book.

However, even though the main characters are completely unlikeable -Actually the only characters I like is Michael's family. How could they have gone so wrong with Michael?- This book is really readable, it like you just need to know what these idoits are going to do next.

Also there actually a few good things about this book, such as the point of view changes each chapter between Jeane and Michael which really work for this book. You also get to see how they lie to themselves straight away with conflicting versions of events.

 It also petty realistic portrayal of teenage life (once you get past Jeane is big deal on the internet and the Guardian is meant to really like her). There's sex, underage drinking and a really boring party.

So I gave this book a 3/5 stars because I did enjoy reading it. So I guess I recommend this to anyone who likes observing idiots and doesn't care if the main characters are that likeable.


No comments:

Post a Comment